Pope Francis' six-day visit to the United States will not take him to every state, but there is plenty of opportunity for arm-chair viewing of the man some regard as the people's pope for his pastoral approach.
Francis flies into Joint Base Andrews, in Maryland, Tuesday evening, and on Thursday he will become the first pope to address a joint session of Congress. Besides D.C., his itinerary will take him to New York and Philadelphia before his Sunday departure.
C-SPAN will air live coverage of the pope's arrival into Joint Base Andrews on Tuesday at 3:45 p.m., as well as live coverage from all three cities. The Eternal Word Television Network (www.ewtn.com) began its coverage with the pope's arrival into Cuba on Saturday. The USA Catholic church mobile app is free to download at Google Play and Apple iTunes in English and Spanish as well as from its site with a smartphone or tablet device.
Websites carrying analysis include National Catholic Reporter and America. A number of area viewing parties are planned for both the pope's address to Congress, as well as the Mass in Philadelphia at the conclusion of his visit.
Francis will fly into the U.S. from Cuba, where he arrived Friday and was joined by Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston, one of his closest U.S. advisers. Here is Francis' planned schedule for his U.S. visit.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 22
4:00 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23 (WASHINGTON, D.C.)
- 9:15 a.m. Welcome ceremony and meeting with President Obama at the White House
- 11:00 a.m. Papal Parade along the Ellipse and the National Mall (time approximate)
- 11:30 a.m. Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral
- 4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- 10 a.m. Address to Joint Meeting of the United States Congress
- 11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- 4:00 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
- 5:00 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral
- 8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m. Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4:00 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
- 5:00 p.m. Procession through Central Park (time approximate)
- 6:00 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden
- 8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m. Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
- 4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- 9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11:00 a.m. Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4:00 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- 7:00 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
- 8:00 p.m. Departure for Rome